Studying in Canada: Choosing a school, college or university

Posted on

Canada has a wide variety of schools and educational institutions. For more information and a list of institutions, please contact the organizations listed below for each type of institution or visit

EduCanada, the Government of Canada’s website on this topic
the Ministry of Education of the province in which you intend to study
the Canadian Bureau for International Education
Throughout Canada, many schools and educational institutions offer opportunities to study in French.

On this page
Elementary and secondary schools
Post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges, vocational institutions, CEGEPs)
Private vocational colleges
Language schools
How to apply to a school, college or university
Health Insurance
Elementary and Secondary Schools
These schools include all grades up to 12. More information on schools can be obtained from the Ministry of Education in the province in which you intend to study.

Post-secondary institutions (universities, colleges, vocational institutions, CEGEPs)
Post-secondary institutions include colleges, universities and vocational institutions. Each has its own rules about how to apply and how much English or French you need to know to be accepted. For more information about these institutions, please contact the following organizations

Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada
Association of Canadian Community Colleges
Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Also check out EduCanada for detailed profiles, admission information, application procedures and graduation requirements on CEGEPs, colleges and universities in Canada.

Important: Each province and territory in Canada is responsible for designating the post-secondary institutions in which international students may enroll. The list of designated institutions includes universities, colleges, CEGEPs, vocational institutions, private vocational colleges and language schools. If you apply for a study permit and your acceptance letter is from an institution that has not been designated for international students, your application will be refused.

Study in Canada. Explore the country. Work and live here.
Find out what you need to know before you choose an educational institution.

Private Career Colleges
Provincial governments do not necessarily regulate private educational institutions. Make sure the private institution you apply to meets provincial post-secondary education requirements and is on the list of designated educational institutions.

Language Schools
There are many schools in Canada that teach English or French as a second language. Provincial governments regulate language programs in public schools.

Most provincial governments do not regulate language programs in private schools. For more information about private school language programs, please contact

Languages Canada
How to apply to a school, college or university
Once you have determined where you would like to study, you will need to apply to that school, college or university. Each institution has its own rules about how to apply.

Make sure you apply as soon as possible. For elementary and secondary schools, apply at least six months in advance. College and university students should apply a year before they start school.

Contact the institution where you wish to study to determine how to apply. They will provide you with the appropriate forms and information on

application fees
tuition fees
health insurance
the cost of rent and living in Canada
language tests.
Fill out the application form for admission

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *